Under a design-and-construct contract, DDR will upgrade water infrastructure at Jigalong Aboriginal Community
DDR Australia continues its expansion into new sectors and is excited to announce its first project with the West Australian government’s Department of Communities (Communities). The project will see DDR design and construct a steel ground tank, and complete associated works, at Jigalong Aboriginal Community, located about 165 kilometres east of Newman.
The community has a population of about 615 people and is part of an Aboriginal Lands Trust reserve, located on the western edge of the Little Sandy Desert. The inhabitants are predominantly Martu people and the land it is on is within the area of the Nyaparli native title determinations.
History of Jigalong
Jigalong was originally established in 1907 as a base for those constructing the now infamous rabbit-proof fence. Throughout the 1930s, it was used as a camel-breeding site, however, in 1947, the land was given to the Apostolic Church, which turned it into a Christian mission.
The site became known as the ‘Aborigines Rescue Mission’ and housed more than 200 people. The mission was closed in 1969 and handed over to Australian government as an Aboriginal reserve. It was finally granted to the Martu people in 1974.
The 2016-18 National Partnership Remote Housing (NPRH) Water and Wastewater Capacity Upgrades program is federally funded and aims to upgrade the capacity of existing water infrastructure in remote Indigenous communities. The program is currently being delivered to multiple Aboriginal communities in WA.
As part of this program, DDR has been appointed to design and construct a steel groundwater tank, and associated works, in Jigalong Aboriginal Community.
The design phase will consist of the following stages:
- Stage 1A: Review of basis of design
- Stage 1B: Advanced preliminary design review
- Stage 2A: Design and documentation
- Stage 2B: Final design review
The construction phase will comprise the following:
- Surveying and marking of work site for underground services
- Removal of redundant facilities
- Earthworks and installation of underground services
- Concrete works to ring beam and pouring of surrounding slabs
- Installation of pipework
- Installation of 300-kilolitre steel tank, chlorinator and transfer pump set
- Completion of pipework installation
- Installation of electrical and instrumentation services
- Commissioning and handover of system
DDR looks forward to working with the Department of Communities and delivering a positive outcome for the Jigalong community.